EMF, is the governing body of minifootball at European level, its purpose is to promote, supervise and direct minifootball in Europe, as a means to contribute to the positive development of society.
The federation was founded in 2012 and is registered as a non-profit association in Prague and Budapest. The EMF’s primary founders were Razvan Burleanu, currently president of the Romanian Football Federation and Filip Juda, president of the World Minifootball Federation (WMF). The EMF is the top European organization representing the sport of minifootball. It is part of the global minifootball structure under the WMF and serves as large “umbrella”, under which European minifootball organizations are sheltered. This is facilitated through the way the EMF is organized. It has a specific structure and has instituted effective control mechanisms to secure the continuous development of the sport it represents.
In 2018 the European Commission recognized the importance of minifootball and the EMF and supported the federation through the Erasmus+ program in order to increase Health Enhancing Physical Activity (HEPA) across Europe through minifootball. The European Commission co-funds the Mini4EU festival organized by the EMF in Hungary in September 2018.
The EMF has 2 type of members: (1) full members which are national minifootball associations registered as non-profit associations and (2) partner organizations, who organize minifootball on the national or regional level but are not yet full members.
The EMF organizes primarily the EMF EURO for national teams, and EMF Champions League for club teams. In 2018 it also organizes the Mini4EU festival, co-funded by the European Commission’s Erasmus+ program. EMF also recognizes international minifootball competitions organized by its members, primarily the Continental Football League held annually in Moscow.
A number of concepts represent the values of the European Minifootball Federation. These interconnected values express the core of who we are and guide all our steps along the way. They stand for the aspirations and ethos of the EMF:
- Participation: It doesn’t matter who wins the match, it doesn’t matter who the best player is. What matters is the effort, being part of the team and performing ones best.
- Entertainment: Minifootball is fun. It means coming together with friends, meeting new people who share the same passion for the game and simply enjoying the sport.
- Wellbeing: EMF addresses non professional athletes who play Minifootball to maintain their physical and mental health.
- Sportsmanship: Minifootball as a sport enjoyed for its own sake, with a spirit of fair-play, respect, ethics and fellowship towards ones competitors being dominant.
- Action: Taking action, not watching action from the couch. This concept is vividly expressed by the official motto of the EMF “YOU PLAY.”.
The motto of EMF is: “YOU PLAY” – two words which encompass the nature and spirit of minifootball as a sport. Minifootball is one of the most popular sports in the world. Everyone who participates automatically becomes the “star”, the center of his daily athletic reality in a minifootball match one has the chance to “get off the couch” and enter the football field. The word “You” indicates that minifootball touches everyone regardless of technique, skills, age, physical capacity etc. Anyone can play minifootball and that is exactly why EMF is 100% incorporated in its “minifootball family” or in other words in its target groups.